Cathy, I am a step mum to a 6 and 7 year old who live with their mother. The 6 year old has come to my house with bite marks and bruises over her body and her mother has admitted to doing this. The mother has mental health problems. I’m concerned for the child’s safety and the child wants to live with us but the mother will not let us have her in our permanent care. I am not very confident in social services. What do you suggest my approach to all this should be. Please write back. Many thanks.
CG: Dear K. I am very concerned by what you have told me and it is essential you or your partner inform the social services immediately. Like you I am worried for the safety of the child. Please do not delay in phoning your local social services or if you prefer the NSPCC – 0808 800 5000. When you have spoken to the social services or the NSPCC I should like you to email me to put my mind at rest. Thank you. Cathy